Tuesday 27 April 2010

Virgin Active Gym

Once Claire reached about 18 months in age, I decided that it was about time for me to get back in shape. Before kids, Cole and I were both active. We hiked, walked, and backpacked and I would work out with the elliptical or bike and weights almost everyday. Then, we had kids. It was hard to keep active. So, we got a little soft. 


Well, at the end of November, I joined Gainesville Health and Fitness Club (www.ghfc.com). I started out with Zumba classes and LOVED them. Once I felt like I was in a little better shape, I started trying out other classes, like Body Pump, Body Combat, Pure Muscle, Spin, and even Body Flow. And, Cole started working out with the Wii. By watching what we ate and building some muscle mass, we were both able to lose some weight. We want to be healthy for ourselves, and we both want to be a little smaller. But, we also want to set the best examples we can for our kids. 


Well, after losing about 15 pounds, I didn't want to head to Edinburgh and gain it all back! Plus, I really like my time at the gym. The kids have fun in the Kids Club and I get my 1 hour (or more) a day without any demands on me. Without our wonderful support group that we have in Gainesville, I felt like I really *needed* to find a fitness club in Edinburgh! 

Before we left, I did find one that looked good: Virgin Active. I contacted them before we left and tried to go on Monday. But, I learned that at this club, you have to book your spot in classes.  You also have to book your kids in "Club V," their Kids Club. So, they didn't have slots for 3 extra kids on Monday. But, we were able to find time on Tuesday. We went there and after some miscommunications, I was able to exercise some and sign up for the gym. 

The rules here are bit different, but the gym seems lovely. I had to call Club V and book the kids in slots throughout the week. With 3 kids, I had to take what I could get. But, by next weekend I should be able to get in and take some of the classes that I really like. And, they told me that if I'm there when there are no classes in session, I can use the studios to do my own exercises. On Thursday I plan to do my own Zumba class. Thanks Jessica!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment