Tuesday 22 June 2010

Oxford & Harry Potter

Oxford is half way between Coventry and Stonehenge. Since this is a well known town and university as well as a site for many scenes in the Harry Potter movies, we had to stop there on the way back to Coventry. Christ Church College seems to be the major place to visit. So, we set that in the GPS and it led us straight there. However, it failed to tell me where I could find parking! There were signs that said if you were planning to head into the university, please use the Park & Ride system. With 3 kids and a stroller, I chose to ignore this advice. This meant that I drove right by Christ Church College and couldn't find any parking! I halfheartedly tried to convince Katie that she'd seen the site where they filmed some Harry Potter movies, but she wasn't buying it. So, we turned back around and tried again. Then, I found some empty parking spaces right in front of some shops. I didn't see anywhere that I could pay for the parking, so I wondered what kind of trouble I might get into. But, I had some kids to please. So, we loaded up the stroller and rolled on to Christ Church College. 



When we got inside the gate to the visitors entrance, it was absolutely beautiful!!! There were gardens and gorgeous old buildings. We were able walk around some. The girls were tired, and all found a good spot on the stroller so that I could do most of the work. We saw a dog that looked identical to our old dog, Bandit. He was a wild dog that came from India! Bandit was a "wild" dog that came from the pound in Virginia. 



I asked Katie if she wanted to go inside the college and see some more sites. She definitely wanted to! And, once we got inside, the kids perked up!!! It was pretty hot and sunny outside, and in the shade it was much cooler. Plus, there was a really fun water fountain! Then, we saw the eating area with long tables that looked like they could have been used for the eating tables in the Harry Potter movies. Dani wanted to sit down and eat dinner there. It took some coaxing for us to convince her that there was no food. 




We went into the cathedral and then came out to the big open field that is surrounded by four walls of the college. It was absolutely gorgeous and the girls were 100% convinced that the quidditch matches took place here. They were having so much fun imagining it, that I didn't have the heart to tell them that wasn't the place! Katie was miffed that she wasn't allowed to run out onto the field and pretend to play quidditch. But, being the excellent kid that she is, she listened and only complained a little. 


After all this exploring, we walked out and got directions back to the shops where the car was. And then, I couldn't find the car! I almost had a little panic attack. Stuck in a strange city with 3 tired kids, no cell phone, no way to reach Cole at all, and I can't find the car! I took a few breaths and looked around to find some familiar land marks and was able to find my way back to the car. I had gotten turned around in the college and didn't realize that I was coming toward the car from the opposite direction that I left it. Of course, there was a parking ticket on it. But, it isn't too steep. We then got some food and coffee for our trip back. We made it back a little after 6:00. The girls got some more food and baths. Cole showed up about the same time that we did, so they also got a little Daddy time. We were all a little red from the sun, but I don't think we got too much! 




We've got one more day in Coventry. Who knows what adventure we'll go on tomorrow! Katie's pretty insistent that she wants to see London. So, maybe London!

No comments:

Post a Comment